Sunday, May 17, 2009

West Coast - Day 2

I starting feeling sick last night, so today was pretty rough for me. Every time I thought of food, I felt awful, so I avoided eating all day long. Today was just another travel day. We left Lethbridge, where it was extremely windy, and travelled south to the US border. After a very painless border crossing, we stopped in a small town for lunch. The main restaurant in town was a combined A&W/KFC that was actually inside the local grocery store. Everyone but me ate and then we were back on the road.

As we got further south, we started driving through mountains. A lot of very pretty scenery, though the roads got a bit tougher to drive on, and the fact that I was sick made the drive even more difficult. I thought our car was broken at one point, as we were going up a hill and it suddenly lost power. However, it was just a safety measure on the car, as I had not been paying attention and had left the cruise on in 5th gear and apparently that hill was too steep for 5th gear. The other interesting thing I noticed was miles and miles of empty railway container cars parked on the track beside the road. I don't know if that is normal (like they way CN parks all the grain cars in northern Saskatchewan during the winter) or if it is a sign of the economic difficulties the US is going through.

Anyway, it has finally warmed up, as at one point in the mountains, the thermometer in the car showed 27 degrees, and it was 24 degrees and bright and sunny when we arrived in Butte, Montana. After getting a hotel room, we basked in the sun, by walking to a Taco Bell for supper, and then walking over to a nearby park, where the boys spent most of the evening playing with rocks and on a play structure. I really did not want to come in, as this is the first time I have been warm outside since last July, but Xander wanted to go in the pool again, so we did that. The pool felt colder this time, so it was a lot harder to get the boys in, and after awhile I just took Evan back to our room and put him to bed.

We're about two hours from Yellowstone right now, and the plan is to visit it tomorrow and then spend the night somewhere close by.

1 comment:

Robin Berkan said...

Hi - today is the 18th - happy anniversary. So sorry you're sick, Jason. We'll be praying you feel better soon and the boys and Sandra won't get it again. The farm "party" was a lot of fun and the fireworks were really good. We all thought Grandpa would have enjoyed them so much and he was greatly missed. Your boys were the only great-grandkids not there and all the kids played together and had fun. Aislynn and Lucas burned their hands a tiny bit on spent sparklers, but they had a good time. We even had a peanut scramble that was fun. I'll post some of the pictures on my blog. Have a great time in Yellowstone and tell Xander not to forget to stand by Old Faithful for me!! Love ya all!!!