Thursday, December 19, 2019

Florida - Day 1

On the flight down to Orlando, I couldn't decide if the theme of today was "Hurry Up and Wait" or "Acceptance of What Is".  After arriving, the decision was easy - "Acceptance of What Is".  From Bradley accepting that the Winnipeg airport restaurant did not have chicken strips or fries and deciding to happily eat home made potato chips, to Jonathan accepting that the plug in on the airplane did not work with the 3DS charger, to all of us accepting that we don't have any clothes for the trip, due to our main luggage bag having gone missing.  :(

Everything was uneventful in Regina.  We got to the airport early, there were no lines, and we settled in until boarding, having met Kevin B. who was headed to Winnipeg on a business trip.  After getting on the plane, I realized that my middle two children were quite scared of the flight, though they hadn't said anything previously.  Jonathan refused to sit by the window and asked for the windows to be closed, and while I was doing that, I saw Evan getting quite upset on the other side of the very small plane.  It was a rough take-off, as I couldn't do anything to help Evan, but he managed to power through.  Thankfully, I was able to sit by him on the way to Orlando and help him with his nerves.

In Winnipeg, we went through customs, where there was no line, had lunch and then boarded the plane to Orlando, which left quite late, due to other late flights and slow baggage handlers.  The flight to Orlando was marred by the fact that in all my electronics preparation, I did not prepare for none of the 3DS chargers fitting into the plug in on the aircraft, nor the fact that the Sandra and my phones (the only ones that could play movies) did not have a headphone jack.  And that was after I ran out to Dollarama before we left Regina to buy new headphones for Bradley.  *sigh*

The kids found things to entertain them on the flight, and we arrived in Orlando around 9:00pm local time.  We made our way to the baggage claim, where only two of our three checked bags arrived, so we then had to spend half an hour with the WestJet baggage employee, as there appears to be no information on our main luggage bag, other than that we had it in our possession in Winnipeg as we went through customs.  Bradley was quite upset about that, as he misses all his clothes, and I have to admit I will be quite unhappy if it ends up not being found, since my pills and all of our hockey jerseys were in that bag.  At this point I have a small amount of faith that it will show up in the next couple of days.

After dealing with that, we took a cab to the hotel, ordered a pizza and got to bed very, very late.  Tomorrow starts our official holiday in Orlando.


1 comment:

Robin and Dale said...

Sorry you had such problems on your flight, but arrived safely. Praying your luggage arrives soon. Love you all!