Friday, July 29, 2016

Epic East Coast - Day 29

LEGOLAND was the most fun I've had at a park here in Florida, primarily because it was not even the slightest bit busy.  I would have thought the park was empty even before I went to Magic Kingdom and Universal.  Though after being at those two, you can tell that it is definitely a second rate park.  It's missing all the spit and polish, as well as the ruthless efficiency and psychotic happiness of Disney parks.

We started off the day by taking the kids to the driving school attraction, where they could drive actual cars around a track and receive a license if they managed to obey the correct traffic laws.  (At least, that's what they told the kids - the true requirement for the license was $15.99, but Evan was so overjoyed at receiving one that I willing paid.)  We then ran through all the main roller coasters in the park - there were three of them and they all appeared to be fairly mild.  The park is aimed at 5-12 year olds, which fits our kids perfectly, unlike Universal, which is definitely designed for an older crowd.

Right before lunch we got in line for the Chima water ride, which guaranteed that you would get wet and we were about two boats away from the front of the line when a passing thunderstorm shut all the outdoor rides down.  The kids were quite upset that we had to walk away from the front of the line, but honestly, the line was barely 10 minutes long.  It gave us time to eat lunch and check out Miniland, USA, which was just as impressive as the one in California.

We spent the rest of the afternoon going on all the rides and dealing with overtired, overheated and hungry kids.  We did get on the Chima ride later in the day and we got completely soaked, which would have been great early in the day when it was 33+, but it wasn't as much fun after the rain, with the temperatures lower.

We had to drag the kids away from the rides, including a bouncy one that just went straight up and down - Bradley went on it five or six times - and found a nearby McDonald's for supper.  Then it was time to hit a grocery store for train supplies and about an hour drive home on the Interstate in the dark.  I really won't miss the traffic in Orlando.

By the time we got back to the hotel and got everyone in bed, I was so exhausted I could barely stand, so I wasn't able to deal with the blog.  I'm currently writing this on the train back to New York, but I won't be able to post any pictures until I get decent wireless.  My next post will be another two day one on Sunday night, as we don't arrive in New York until 11:00am Sunday morning, 22 hours after we left Kissimmee (which y'all pronounce incorrectly).


1 comment:

Robin and Dale said...

Kissimmee - Ki - si - me (with accent on si) am I right? Anyway, I'm glad Legoland was so good (except for the thunderstorm) and the kids had fun and you had a good time. You know, it's ok to be happy and for others to be happy, too, even though it seems silly. I love you no matter what and Todd Falconer said he was enjoying your "grouchy" blogs. Love to all (You really are your father's child!)