Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Family and Friends - Day 13

We started off the day by heading to Livelong to curl a game in the Livelong summer bonspiel. Sandra's family curls a lot and I was on a team with her father and her two brothers. I've only curled two games since grade school, and both of them were with my in-laws, so I wasn't expecting to contribute a lot. I managed to get some of my rocks across the hog line, and I think I managed to help out a bit with the sweeping. We didn't win, but I had a lot of fun playing. I even managed to put up a really good guard in the final end. While we were playing, the kids went outside and found a pile of frost that had been scraped off the ice, so they spent some time making snowballs and throwing them against the outside of the curling rink.







We came back to Sandra's parents for lunch and then put the kids down for a nap. Right after Xander was in bed, the power went out. Everyone was asleep in the house, except for Sandra and her mom, who were outside in the garden. I didn't think too much of the power outage until Rene got up and said that power outages were fairly common and due to the way the power grid is setup in northern Saskatchewan, if the power was out in Turtleford, it was also out in all the communities in this area. That meant that the power was off in Livelong, making it difficult to keep the curling ice frozen. The rest of the afternoon was a flurry of phone calls to see what was happening and to keep the regular member of the team (whom I replaced today) informed, since he lives a long way out of town.

We barbecued for supper, since there was no power, though the power did come back on shortly after supper and the curling games from today were rescheduled to tomorrow and Friday. Before going to bed, we gave the kids their baths and got Grandma to cut the boys' hair while they watched the chuckwagon races with Grandpa.

No comments: